The Fetherbay Files (Uncensored)

The fascinating life of an everyday family! We are as abnormal as any other. Enjoy a piece of our lives!

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Real Roots and Quality Time



What a Wonderful and Important Experience!!!




My wife and 2 youngest daughters were recently out of the country attending my father-in-law's funeral in Holland. While they were away, I used this 2 week period as a good opportunity for some one on one time with my 87 year old Grandmother. We did a lot of cool things during that time. But the coolest was a weekend trip back to her childhood hometown and birthplace.


The house she was born in is still standing and in great condition. (Pictured Above)
Built in 1890, it is now occupied by my 70 something y/o second cousin. My Grandma was born in this same house in 1919. I have fond memories of swinging in an old tire swing in the side yard when I was just a single digit aged kiddy. The house then was filled with the aroma of snuff and cigar smoke from my aunt and uncle. It is the 1st place I ever ate a brown shelled country egg (or even saw one). What a trip down memory lane. I guess it has been over 20 years since I have been in the area.

We also made a stop by the cemetery where her Parents (My Great Grandparents) and her Grandparents (My Great Great Grandparents) were buried.



Her Parent's Headstone



Her Grandparent's Headstone




We then decided to see if one of her childhood homes were still standing. And to our delight it was standing and in fine shape. Looked to be very well kept. We drove down the long gravel driveway and I even got out and took a pic, but the sound of big dogs barking in the back yard convinced me snap the pic and jump back in the car and get out of there. We were in the country, where I am sure a few people have shotguns propped behind their doors. But I was actually hoping someone would come out so we could say hello and possibly see the inside. As we drove away she showed me the little creek that she and her sister used to play in and make little houses out of the creek bank clay.

Grandma's Childhood Home



Afterwar all that we stopped at an oldtime eatery called The Cooksville Grill. I recall them having the best sliced Bar B Que sandwiches in the world when I was a child. Grandma used to stop and buy them everytime she went to the country when I was a child. As I walked in the smell of the place immediately took me back. There was an elderly couple having a Saturday evening fish dinner at the table in the window. The ambiance was that of a Normal Rockwell masterpiece. I ordered the sandwiches and sat at the counter taking it all in as Grandma waited in the car. (It was like 96 degrees that day and she was loving the air conditioning in the GMC Envoy). Andy and Barney could have walked in and ordered the Aunt Bee special and it wouldn't have surprised me. It was a true trip back in time all the way down to the salt shakers and homemade cookies for sale by the register.


Cooksville Grill



The sandwiches were still as good as I remebered. I had to eat them right in the parking lot cause they were good and sloppy with slaw falling out of the bun. Mitsy, my 3 pound Teacup Yorkie got her 1st taste and woofed down about a third of a sandwich herself in the back seat. Which was good, because it got her belly full and she crawled on to her pillow bed and went to sleep for a while.

I was amazed at how well Grandma remembered her way around those back roads after 87 years. I could have never found those those places alone. We all 3 rested well that evening.


Grandma Holding Mitsy
After the Trip




What a great time!! Grandma, Mitsy and Me, On the Back Roads of History!!

Charles Kuralt would have been proud of us!!








I miss TV like he did it!!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home