The Fetherbay Files (Uncensored)

The fascinating life of an everyday family! We are as abnormal as any other. Enjoy a piece of our lives!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

More Wasted Money


I am flipping through my channels and pass a NASCAR race. A number 88 car stands out to me as it says NAVY across the side. I stop and watch. I go to the site Navy.com on the bumper. It is the God dammed United States Navy. They are spending our tax money to sponsor a car. I always thought the recruiting commercials on TV the "Be all you can be" ads were PSA's. I am getting an education here. Our tax money is being used to sponsor a car in one of the most expensive sporting events of today. I don't remember getting a chance to vote on this. I am not a normal NASCAR viewer and may be late on this but it does hit a nerve with me.

What's Next? "The U.S. Navy Stadium" maybe they'll spend a few million of our dollars to put their name on an arena somewhere. While people still can't afford to go to the doctor and get their prescriptions filled in this country.

(The Next Morning)

I just woke up and decided to research this a little more and add this info to this posting.

Below is what I found for 2005. Last years wasteful spending.



Military and NASCAR

The military's sponsorships this year total more than $38 million.

*Army: $16 million (32 of 36 Nextel Cup races, a traveling interactive display and two "show cars" for track and event appearances)

*National Guard: $6 million (24 Nextel Cup events)

*Navy: $5 million (35 Busch Series and two Nextel Cup races, show car and video simulators)

*Coast Guard: $4.4 million (35 Busch Series races and show car)

*Air Force: $3.3 million (four Nextel Cup races, at-track advertising and three show cars)

*Marine Corps: $3.3 million (35 Busch Series races and show car)

Military-sponsored NASCAR drivers

Army
Series: Nextel Cup
Car No. 01
Driver: Joe Nemechek

Navy
Series: Busch Series
Car No. 14
Driver: David Stremme

Air Force
Series: Nextel Cup (4 races)
Car No. 21
Driver: Ricky Rudd

Marine Corps
Series: Busch Series
Car No. 25
Driver: Ashton Lewis Jr.

Coast Guard
Series: Busch Series
Car No. 44
Driver: Justin Labonte

National Guard
Series: Nextel Cup (24 races)
Car No. 16
Driver: Greg Biffle


Another thing I learned from this whole event is that The Pentagon spent 600 Million dollars on advertising for the Armed Forces recruitment campaign last year.

WOW! Why shouldn't they use PSA's and our broadcast license holders, (TV and Radio) run the ads for free?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home